Core to Saint Francis is ‘Gods gifts begin their journey to gain, attain and grow into life long learners. All pupils are given the opportunities to consider the values that are important to them and the values of others. This is part of enabling them to grow into their very best self.
In terms of British Values, we enable the children to take many different responsibilities within the school in terms of independence, leadership in many forms, voting for suggested changes to school, fund raising, giving something back into society. These again are woven into everyday life at school and through implicit and explicit teaching.
The whole school practice of this is shown through each area as well as through the school values and collective worship.
- Elected school council
- Elected school roles eg. house captains, playground monitors,
- Pupil voice
- Classroom/school roles of responsibility
- Pupil questionnaires
- Teaching of debate/balanced argument writing
- Home school agreement
Rule of Law
- Behaviour and Anti-Bullying Policies
- Classroom rules
- Rewards and sanctions
- Road safety
- E Safety
- Sports tournaments
- Citizenship lessons
- Opportunities for child-led learning
- Choices offered across the curriculum – e.g. reading books
- Individual research projects
- Variety of school clubs offered
- Individual targets set for learning
- Choosing own menu for school lunches.
Tolerance and Respect
- Good manners expected from all members of the school community
- High expectations of behaviour
- Celebrating different religious festivals
- Collective Worship and values work taken from Values for Life and Roots & Fruits
- Lunch-catering for different needs
- Teaching about different religions throughout the school
- Visits from Faith leaders in assembly
- Visits to different places of Worship
- Selling poppies in school
- Harvest gifts delivered to Foodbank in Swindon
- Fund raising for many different charities including Children in Need, Comic Relief, etc
Also refer to PSHE and SMSC as well as other related subjects.