What do Governors do?
School Governors are the strategic leaders of a school and have a vital role to play in making sure that every child gets the best possible education. The law states that the purpose of the Governing Body is to “conduct the school with a view to promoting high standards of educational achievement at the school“.
Governors have three core responsibilities:
- Ensuring that the vision, ethos and strategic direction of the school are clearly defined
- Holding the Head Teacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent
The role of governors focuses on the strategic direction of the school, rather than on the operational aspects of how it is run day-to-day, which is the responsibility of the Head Teacher. Governors also help to ensure that the school remains distinctive as a Church of England school, and Foundation Governors have a particular requirement to promote and care for the school’s Christian character.
We meet together as a full Governing Body once a term, and also meet in smaller groups and committees. The two core committees are:
- The Curriculum, Achievement and Safeguarding Committee (Chair: Mrs Linda Pope) – considers matters relating to the delivery of the national curriculum and wider curriculum, pupil attainment and progress, and child protection and safeguarding processes
- The Finance, Staffing and Premises Committee (Chair: Mrs Helen Jenkins) – considers matters relating to the effective management of finances, staffing arrangements, and the development and maintenance of the premises, including health and safety considerations
At Governors meetings we discuss all aspects of school life, supporting Mrs Farrell and her team in their leadership of the school. Minutes of meetings of the Governing Body can be requested from the Clerk to the Governors, Heather Large, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To contact the Chair of Governors please email: email@example.com