A child has special education needs if he or she has a learning difficulty, which calls for special educational provision to be made for them.

St Francis CofE Primary School aims to :

  • provide every possible opportunity to develop pupils’ full potential
  • provide a differentiated and inclusive curriculum that is broad and balanced
  • provide appropriate resources and support
  • promote good practice for teaching and learning. A key principle being “If a child does not learn in the way we teach him/her then we must teach him/her in the way he he/she learns best”
  • work in partnership with parents/carers to liaise on pupil provision, attainment and progress
  • access support from external agencies as appropriate ( e.g. speech and Language therapy, Education Psychology, hearing impairment team, ASC outreach, Nyland campus outreach).

Day to day support for all pupils is directed by the class teacher with additional support from Teaching Assistants. Any queries regarding a pupils learning should be directed to the class teacher in the first instance.

Should you have any further queries please contact the relevant St Francis SENCO for your child’s Key Stage via the school office (Tel: 727624).
Mrs Becky Fullarton (SENCO)


For additional local advice and guidance for Special Educational Needs plus links to local and national organisations contact:
Swindon Parent Partnership Service (SENDIASS) click here


To view the Swindon SEN & Disability Local Offer, click here.


SEN & Disability Policy


SEN & Disability Handbook


SEN Information Report


Accessibility Plan

Swindon Young Carers

Are you aged 5-18 Years old and helping to look after someone at home because they have an illness or disability? Maybe Swindon Young Carers can help? 

For more information, please contact the Young Carer Support Workers at the Swindon Carers Centre on 01793 531133

Young carers’ charter
We are children and young people who are also carers. We believe we should have the same rights as other children and young people, including the rights to:

  • Be children as well as carers
  • Schools and colleges that give us the help we need to get an education
  • Fun, friends and time off from caring
  • Family life with well-supported parents
  • Practical help and support so that we don’t have to do all of the caring in our homes
  • A safe environment and protection from harm, including any harm that caring activities could cause us
  • Services that value our different backgrounds, cultures, religions, races and sexualities
  • Be listened to and supported by the people who support our parents and siblings
  • An assessment of what we need as individuals, without any assumptions being made about us
  • Be listened to and involved when people make decisions which affect our lives
  • Information about the health problems that we see our family members experiencing
  • Advocacy and complaints procedures which we can understand and which work
  • Stop taking on caring roles when we wish to
  • Move on and become independent adults


Children's Speech and Language Therapy

What is a Speech and Language Therapist?  Speech and language therapy is concerned with assessing and treating speech, language and communication difficulties in people of all ages. The aim is to help them to communicate to the best of their ability. What do we do? Intervention  Children who are referred to Speech & Language therapy will receive an assessment of their strengths and needs. This might be through observations, discussion or direct assessment. Advice and support is then given to parents, carers, and others who spend time with the child. Training and support  We provide a range of training opportunities for parents, carers and other professionals. How do I get my child seen?  Anyone can refer a child to Speech & Language Therapy (including parents and carers) but we advise you to talk to your child’s health visitor, class teacher or staff at your local children’s centre before making a referral. For further information: Click to visit the web

Educational Psychology

What do Educational Psychologists do?

  • EPs work with parents, carers and teachers as well as other people to help and support children and young people.
  • We look at how children and young people develop and how they can best be supported when learning.
  • We advise on how children’s and young people’s needs can best be met.

Leaflet For Parents – School Aged Children And Young People

Swindon Visual Support Services

The team offers a variety of services including assessments, advice, home visits and one-to-one support in schools, covering the variety of skills a child or young person needs to achieve their potential.

What is Swindon Vision Support Service (SVSS)?
This service provides support to children and young people who are visually impaired (VI).
This service is available to anyone referred by Health and Education.
The Vision Support Service is a team of professionals with expertise in visual impairment.
We are based in the Multi-Agency Unit at the Learning Complex at Uplands School but our service is provided in schools, pre-schools and homes within Swindon.

For more information: Click to visit the web

The Hearing Impairment Team

We believe that hearing loss should not prevent children and young people from having the opportunity to find their unique talents and develop these to their full potential. 

Our mission is to be a partner with families and educational settings in raising attainment for all deaf children and young people by ensuring their learning journey meets no barriers to progress. 

Who are we?

  • Four Advisory Teachers who have qualifications in teaching deaf children and many years experience of working with deaf children between us.

Who do we support?

  • All deaf children & young people who have access to hearing aids or cochlear Implants, their families and educational settings within the Borough of Swindon.
  • We also offer information and advice on hearing effectively for learning to all schools and educational settings

For more information: Click to visit the web

The Nyland Campus Outreach Team

What do they do?
The Nyland Campus Outreach Team (NCOT) can provide a range of support to schools to support pupils with Behavioural, Emotional or Social difficulties. 

What support can they provide?
NCOT can deliver a range of support and provision to schools that have been referred to the team:

  1. Outreach support working directly in schools. This work can vary from 1:1 work with individual pupils, group work or whole class support. The amount of support can range from one session to 5 sessions a week.
  2. Nyland Campus Short Term provision (2 days a week for a maximum of 2 terms) in the ‘Assessment Class’
  3. Mountford Manor SRP short term provision (3 days a week for a maximum of 3 terms)

Successful inclusion in school and the local community is about pupils, parents and professionals taking responsibility for their actions and being supported and encouraged by others when they find it difficult. 

For further information: Click to visit the web

Targeted Mental Health Service

The Targeted Mental Health Service (TaMHS) is a Tier 2 early intervention service. Their aim is to ensure that the emotional and mental health needs of children and young people are supported with an appropriate intervention. 

The team consists of experienced and qualified practitioners and outreach workers who are able to deliver a range of evidence-based therapeutic intervention.

What do they do?
The Targeted Mental Health Service offer short term interventions (4-6 sessions) that are tailored to meet the needs of each child, young person or family. 
Consultations are available to parents, school staff, health professionals and other agencies. 

How can my child/family get support?
A request for TaMHS can be made by any universal service agency or via any professional who knows you (e.g. School, Health Visitor, G.P).